Savannah’s Famous Pirates’ House is located on one of the most historic spots in Georgia. It is here that Trustee’s Garden, the first public agricultural experimental garden in America, was located. Around 1753, when Georgia had become firmly established and the need for the experimental garden no longer existed, the site was developed as a residential section. Since Savannah had become a thriving seaport town, one of the first buildings constructed on the former garden site was naturally an inn for visiting sailors.
Situated a scant block from the Savannah River, the inn became a rendezvous for pirates and visiting sailors from the Seven Seas. The building remained intact through the centuries, but lost its spark & had fallen into disuse after World War II.
The property was acquired by the Savannah Gas Company in 1945 and the dilapidated building was slated for demolition. It was saved by Mrs. Mary Hillyer, wife of the president of the company Mr. Hansell Hillyer. Mary, along with some other local ladies, took it upon themselves to restore General Oglethorpe’s vision of Savannah. This meant that our beloved Pirates’ House received it’s first restoration treatment under the magic wand of Mrs. Hillyer. With great imagination, perseverance, and skill she was able to save the building & renovate it into the restaurant it is today.